Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

RAW Apple tartlets

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties"

- Henri Frederic Amiel



This is my first raw recipe, I've tried, and I am quite proud of how it turned out!
It took me awhile since I first got interested in the raw food recipes, to make a first step to this amazingly tasty and healthy way of eating.


A little bit about raw eating. Raw diet includes in itself eating fresh raw vegan, often organic, ingredients, such as vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, juices, etc.,etc,etc. But mostly, NO dairy, NO meat, NO fish, NO whites (flour, sugar, pasta, etc.), no animal products almost at all and nothing which requires cooking.

You can read more about it if you follow these links:
http://www.rawvolution.com/why-raw
http://www.rawmazing.com/why-raw/

To be honest, I am not quite ready to switch completely to this way of eating yet. But I am looking forward to experiment and include as much raw recipes into my diet as I can. My family is also exited about it, and it's a great way of making your life much healthier!

I have decided to try desserts first. The main reason because there are not many healthy recipes of desserts out there, wherever I look I see lots of recipes which include sugar, butter, flour and eggs, often all of them mixed together. You simply can't enjoy such treats without feeling guilty and sorry for your body. You just have to compromise all the time, but not with raw desserts, they are healthy for you, your body will enjoy them together with your tongue! :)

So here is the recipe
I have combined two recipes in one.
The recipe of tartlets crust I have taken from Juliano's "The UNcook book"
And the recipe of the apple feeling I have taken and modified a little, from Matt Amsden's book "RAWvolution"

Makes 12 little tartlets.
You'll need a 1/3 cup capacity cupcake tin.

Ingredients:
for the crust
1 cup of walnuts
1 cup of pitted dates

for the apple feeling
2 apples, cored, sliced and roughly chopped
3 tb spoons of agave nectar
1/2 t spoon cinnamon powder
2 t spoons raw oats, ground (I didn't ground them, but you suppose to if you use them, original recipe had 1 1/2 t spoon of flax seed, ground)
1 1/2 t spoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup of raisins



Method:
To make the crust, in a blender combine walnuts and dates and crash them finely. Line the cup cake tin with pieces of baking paper, so the "dough" will not stick to the bottom. Press about a table spoon of the mixture evenly into the bottom and sides each cup of the tin.
Mix chopped apples, agave nectar, cinnamon, oats, lemon juice and raisins in a mixing bowl. Spoon the mixture evenly into each tartlet crust and serve.

It tastes unbelievably yummy and amazingly fresh!
Enjoy!







6 comments:

  1. Hi, I just stopped by to say I am giving you one of the "Stylish Bloggers Award". Here is an explanation of what to do if you wish to accept. http://bookscraftsprettythings.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html
    Thanks so much for the networking opportunity. Hope 2011 is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a yummy recipe, I dont know that I could eat only raw food all the time as there are times when there is nothing better than a bowl of warm soup and a crusty roll! I will however keep popping back and having a look at recipes to see what else you make, your blog is looking great and I see Kat has just awarded you the Stylish Blog award so Congratulations x
    Helen
    www.acraftykindoftruffle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy recipe, i will certainly try it as i love apples and i have been interested in raw food but never tried it.
    Love your blog! Thank you for the lovely comment on mine.
    Hugs xx
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you are on the right track to good health Kat. It doesn't hurt once in awhile to steam some of your foods. But never mix Cooked and raw together at the same meal. It often tastes nice but your body wont process it efficiently.
    The same goes for Vegetables and fruit. Some combination's taste great but the body wont process it efficiently. Fruit is best in the mornings on an empty stomach. Your body will process it within 30 minutes. Always fruit before vegetables, not after. Vegetables take longer for your stomach to process. so that if you eat fruit straight after vegetables by the time your body processes the vegetables the fruit that came down after it will start to ferment in the heat of your stomach and never get processed properly because it starts to acidify thereby upsetting the balance of digestive acids in the stomach.
    Oh my goodness...sorry Katerina I didn't mean to go on for so long or take up so much of your page. I wont let it happen again. Cya....Roger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roger! Thank you for your helpful massege! My mum tought me a lot of information on such subjects. Healthy living really is a science! :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ all your comments! So please, feel welcome to say what you think!